How to apply and payment of fees
You can apply by downloading an Application form. Please be sure you meet the Acceptance Standards set out below. Students must be aged between 9 and 19.
Summer School Application Form (PDF 332kb)
Applications should be returned by Friday 14th April 2017, enclosing a Registration Fee of £100 per week. Places will be allocated and students will be advised by Friday 12th May 2017 of our final decision. Please wait until you hear from us. Registration Fee cheques for successful applicants will then be banked, and cheques from unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed. Registration Fees which are banked are non-refundable under any circumstances once you have been notified that you have been accepted on the Summer School. Full fees may be paid on application if desired. The balance of the fees must be paid before 31st May 2017. Students who have not paid in full by 31st May 2017 risk losing their places. Yorkshire Ballet Summer School reserves the right to retain all or part of the balance of fees paid on behalf of a student who withdraws after payment in full if we are unable to fill that place with another applicant.
Our application criteria has changed this year and we are asking that you please enclose a current passport photograph plus a short video along with your application.
Videos should be 2/3 minutes in length and show a series of exercises. No music is necessary.
Girls please wear leotard and tights and boy’s to wear tights and fitted t-shirt or unitard. Usual ballet shoes.
- Plies (demi and full) in 1st position, 2nd position and 5th or 3rd position
- Tendu’s- four front, four side, four back and four side
- Battement jeté (glisses) four front, four side, four back and four side
- Grand battement en croix
- Simple Port de Bras
- Pirouette en Dehors en dedans
- Chasse to 1st arabesque en lair (in profile)
- Small jumps in 1st and 2nd position
- Where relevant girls point; rises and releve’s in 1st position
How to submit your video application
Please upload your video to a file sharing website and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the applicant's details. We regret we are unable to accept USB sticks.
If you have any questions about any of the above please email us at email@example.com
You can use one of the following:
- Dropbox: Login or create a free Dropbox account and click on the ‘upload file’ button. Once the video has uploaded, right click on it and select ‘share’. Enter the firstname.lastname@example.org email address and in the ‘message’ box, please state the applicant’s full name and age and contact email.
- Vimeo: Login or create a free Vimeo account and follow the site’s instructions to upload your video. Set the video to private using the ‘Only people with a password’ setting. Please send the video url to email@example.com with the password and the applicant’s full name.
- We Transfer: upload the file and send to us on firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicants name, age and contact email in the ‘message’ box
Whilst applications are accepted up to the start of the summer school, places are limited and once they have been allocated in early May we cannot guarantee space.
Once you have been accepted, there will be no further communication. Thereafter, please check the website for any further information which you may require. Further information may be put on our social media sites and students are invited to follow us.
Students may apply for one week or two weeks at the Summer School. In the event of numbers exceeding the quota for any week you may be asked to change your booking to an alternative week.Students must accept their placement in respective classes. Class allocations are made once all applications have been processed and will not be communicated until arrival at the Summer School.
Yorkshire Ballet Summer School reserves the right to retain all or part of the Summer School fees in the event of a student’s withdrawal.
Students must have passed their 9th birthday and not be more than 19 years of age and must fit with our acceptance standards following the viewing of the application videos sent in.
If the number of students meeting the Acceptance Standards exceeds the total number of places available, the Director's decision as to which students are allocated places is final.
Auditions for Scholarships
The London Audition is on Sunday 30th April 2017 and the York Audition is on Sunday 7th May 2017.The London Audition will be held at The Rambert School of Ballet, Clifton Lodge, St Margaret's Drive, Twickenham TW1 1QN. The easiest public transport access is the overland rail service to St Margarets Station and about a 10 minute walk from there. The York Audition will be held at Askham Bryan.
There is no audition fee. Students must have obtained their dancing teacher’s permission to attend the audition. Students awarded a Scholarship will be refunded any fees paid towards the 2017 Summer School for the week or weeks covered by the Scholarships.